Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Grown up Grilled Cheese

If I could just sit on my ass all day long watching food network, eating fancy sandwiches, reading trashy gossip blogs and watching All My Churrun, I would. However, in order to support the fruit of my ovaries and pay for the mountains of vintage dresses one must acquire to achieve true happyness in life I need to work a soul sucking day job and have all of my creativity drained out of me as a full time bitch.. ahhem I mean Legal Secretary at a large lawfirm.

So I make it a point to find time to cook every day. It makes me feel better. It makes me happy. It makes me feel like there is more to my life than listening to the senseless rambleing of lawyers and the pitiful sighs of my fellow secretaries all day long. Plus, my ass is usually broke and the menu that my fancy bitch that lives in my head reads is usually pretty expensive to buy in NY, and well, fast food gives me the shits.

So the recipe of this week came to me as an inspiration from one of my favorite sandiwches at my favorite local spots in Astoria. Every day they have a fancy grilled cheese of the day. Now, to be perfectly honest, I, as a white girl whose family is from the south, am not physically capable of turning down a normal white trash special grilled cheese. You know the kind... made with wonderbread that sticks to your front teeth and butter and sliced wiggly processed cheese food. If you throw some bologna in that bitch.. you very well may be able to get down my pants. But the fancy bitch that lives in my brain tells me this is unacceptable to make for myself and my child so this is my variation of my very own fancy grilled cheese sandwich.

Ingredients

1/4 Manchengo Cheese
1/4 Cheddar Cheese
1/4 Gruyere

2 pieces of multigrain (read fancy bread of your choice) bread
Fresh Spinach

2 Tomatoes cut in wedges
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove crushed garlic
salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 400
Wash and slice up tomato and place in an oven proof dish. Drizzle with olive oil and crushed garlic and salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, or until the outside of the tomato looks wrinkley and the tomato is smooshy. (yes I said smooshy)

While doing this prepare your bread. Butter each side of the bread lightly with butter. The real shit. Lets not go down the margarine route. Just dont do it.

Remove tomatoes from oven and place in dish and squish. Its now like a tomato chunky yummy sauce. Set to the side.

Add one slice of bread to a frying pan. Add 1 each of each cheese and top with spinach then top with tomato then the second piece of bread. Allow to sit for approx 3 minutes on med. heat until the bread is golden brown. Flip. Do the same with the other side.

Place on plate with a side of Wassabi Mayo.

Notice there are leftovers. You are welcome. Now go make yourself seconds.

:D

No comments: